STAY CLOSE TO THE CHILDREN
This means to engage in behavior that will tend to make the children like you. The more they like you, the more they will listen to you, trust you and want to make you proud of their progress.
What can you do to keep the children close to you?
• Casual conversation about things they are interested in (Non-judgmental)
• Laugh and joke with them (Appropriately)
• Help them solve their problems
• Let them know that you are on their side and that you want them to be successful
• Make sure that you have interactions with them (Be true and honest that they see it)
*WE DO NOT WANT TO CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT THAT THE CHILDREN WANT TO RUN AWAY FROM! WE WANT THEM TO SEE IT AS A POSITIVE STEP TOWARDS THEIR INDEPENDENCE.
• CATCH EVERY CHILD YOU WORK WITH DOING SOMETHING RIGHT AND PROVIDE SOME REINFORCEMENT. DO THIS AT LEAST ONCE A DAY.
• NEVER USE NEGATIVE OR DEGRADING WORDS WITH CHILDREN, IT JUST WON’T HELP THEM AND WILL PROBABLY MAKE THINGS WORSE!