CHARACTERISTICS AND GOALS WITH MUSIC!
Music is one of my favorite activities for listening, for doing, for having fun and for achieving!
WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF MUSIC?
1. Music captivates and maintains attention
2. Music stimulates and utilizes many parts of the brain
3. Music is easily adapted to, and can be reflective of, children’s abilities
4. Music structures time in a way that we can understand
5. Music provides a meaningful, enjoyable context for repetition
6. Music provides a social context — it sets up a safe, structured setting for verbal and nonverbal communication
7. Music is an effective memory aid
8. Music supports and encourages movement
9. Music taps into memories and emotions
10. Music provides nonverbal, immediate feedback
11. Music is success-oriented – children of all ability levels can participate
WHAT KIND OF GOALS IS ACHIEVED THROUGH MUSIC?
It sets up goals according to the group and/or individual situation such as:
1. Developing a sense of rhythm.
2. Improves speech and language.
3. Provides an acceptable means for emotional release.
4. Improves self-confidence.
5. Trains following directions.
6. Develops self-control, increasing retention and attention spans.
7. Encourages growth in creativity and imagination.
8. Correlates music with other subjects.
9. Improves coordination and motor control.
10. Strengthens self-expression.
11. Develops interpersonal communication.